Children with nervous system diseases or illnesses involving the bones or joints and skeletal system often require evaluation and support to help them recover from the after effects of serious illnesses causing injury : both temporary and permanent to the brain and nervous system. Some children are born with formative defects of the brain and nervous system which cause varying degrees of disability and loss of function. Similar effects are seen after children are afflicted with infections of the brain and its coverings ( the meninges ). Injury due to falls, accidents affecting the head or spinal column too cause similar effects. Neurorehabilitation specializes in assessment of loss of function, formation of a plan of management and several modalities of treatment aimed at reversing or improving the devastating effects of these illnesses on children and infants. At Lotus Children’s Hospital, we provide the entire gamut of children’s neurorehabilitative services……… all under one roof!
The Children’s Neuro Rehabilitative Team :
- Physiotherapy ( Specialist who performs restorative activities for such children )
- Occupational therapy ( Specialist who helps in restoration of function )
- Speech, Language Therapists & Audiologists ( Specialists who assess hearing loss, loss of or defects in speech and language and perform treatments appropriate to regain lost functions )
- Pediatric Psychiatrists & Psychologists ( Specialists for Children who deal with psychological disorders and mental disturbances in children and help provide assistance and treatment)
Scope of Children’s Neuro Rehabilitation :
- Diagnostic Assessment of Nervous System and skeletal motor function
- Early Identification & Intervention
- Developmental Screening of newborns, infants and children ‘ at risk ’ for loss of nervous system function
- Facilitation of Neurodevelopmental therapy & activities of daily life.
- Sensory motor stimulation.
- Management of Autism, ADHD ( Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ), Cerebral Palsy, Neuropathies, Syndromes with Nervous System disability, Learning disability, Disability in writing, etc.
- Facilitation of Speech and Language development
- Testing of Special Senses in Newborns and Children : External and Internal Hearing – BERA Test, OAE, PTA
- Behavior Modification therapy
- Intelligence Quotient ( IQ ) & Developmental Quotient ( DQ ) Testing
- Postural Correction & Gait training.
- Oral Motor Stimulation.
- Neurodevelopmental therapy.
- Remedial Education.
Supportive Specialists for Children’s Neurorehabilitation and Physiotherapy :
- Pediatricians ( Children’s Specialists who identify potential children who need therapy )
- Pediatric Neurologist ( Children’s Brain and Nervous System Specialist )
- Pediatric Neurosurgery ( Children’s Brain and Nervous System Surgeon )
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon ( Children’s Bone and Joint Surgeon )